This simple meal can be made in one pan and in just about 40 minutes. Smokey hummus takes baked chicken from boring to something exciting again. Roasted summer vegetables makes this a quick, complete meal! Perfect for a healthy week night dinner that is gluten free and dairy free.
Do you love hummus, but don’t know how to turn it in to a full meal? Look no further than this simple and delicious hummus baked chicken with vegetables. Hummus is excellent on just about everything and baked chicken breasts are no exception. Baking the dish gives the hummus a slightly crispy crust around the juicy chicken breast. Toss some chopped summer vegetables into the pan with it and you have a whole meal in just 30 minutes.
If you have a little more time you can make my homemade roasted red pepper hummus to slather all over the chicken. It adds a little time to the recipe, but is so delicious, I think it’s worth it. If you’re crunched for time or just aren’t into the idea of making your own hummus, store bought is fine.
Growing up my brother was allergic to just about everything under the sun which meant that dinner was usually plain chicken and broccoli with some white rice. Unfortunately, we didn’t know about the magic of slathering things in hummus. It’s dairy, sugar, and gluten-free so it’s perfect for those people who are allergic or avoiding most major food groups! Chicken is definitely not boring when you make it this way.
I’m also always on the look out for recipes that need a limited amount of dishes. We don’t have a dishwasher in our kitchen so every pan counts. With just a little planning, this hummus baked chicken and vegetables can all be roasted in one pan for a super easy clean up. Put some parchment paper down on the pan and just toss it after and it will practically seem like you didn’t cook anything at all!
Tips for Making Hummus Baked Chicken and Vegetables
- Resist the urge to slather the hummus on really thick. I get it. The more hummus you add, the better it gets. The problem is if the layer is too thick it won’t crisp up on top and you’ll get a soggy crust on your chicken.
- Feel free to change up the vegetables. You can use whatever vegetables you would like to toss in the pan. I usually just throw in whatever is in my fridge. Just be sure they will cook at the same rate as each other. For instance potatoes are going to take longer and kale will go really quick. So keep that in mind when choosing!
- Garnish with fresh lemon and parsley. While it is not essential I think a squirt of lemon is a fabulous addition to this meal. The acidity of lemon juice just brightens everything.
Hummus Baked Chicken and Vegetables
This simple meal can be made in one pan and in just about 30 minutes. Smokey hummus takes baked chicken from boring to something exciting again. Roasted summer vegetables makes this a quick, complete meal!
- 4 Chicken Breasts Boneless & Skinless
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Medium Zucchini Squash Diced
- 2 Medium Yellow Squash Diced
- 1/2 Cup Grape Tomatoes Halved
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and evenly distribute the hummus among each breast. About 2 Tbsp each piece. Spread in a even layer.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the bottom and place each chicken breast on to it, evenly spaced. Sprinkle with paprika before placing in the 425 degree oven.
While the chicken is baking. Prepare the zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes by dicing them to evenly sized pieces.
In a bowl toss the zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes with the parsley, salt, pepper, and olive oil to evenly coat. And set aside.
After the chicken has baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and add the vegetables to the pan in a single layer and return the pan to the oven.
Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken's internal temperature has reached 165 degrees and the vegetables has began to brown.
Serve immediately with fresh lemon slices and fresh parsley.
For the hummus you can use store bought or make your own with my recipe for roasted red pepper hummus.